Saturday, August 18, 2012

Stay in Your Lane


The few readers that frequent my website know that I've recently published a new novel in the Immortal Desires series.

I wonder how many reader I've lost because they were expecting erotica, and instead, found romantic suspense. That's the nice thing about being a completely independent writer-I can write whatever I want. Nonetheless, I must also suffer the consequences of jumping genre and confusing readers. And now, with a newly published work set out there in the big cold world, I realize that, to a certain extent, I must start again and build an entirely new audience ... or do I?

So I ask you for your thoughts. Would you stay with an author you like if they suddenly jump genres? Do you make your purchase selections solely on the author, or are you apt to give something new a try if it is written by an author you are familiar with?

I ask this for two reasons. First, the next two novels (and a few free shorts as well) in the series will continue in the same vein as Lexi's Run. I know the first novel has a strong erotic element but the rest of the story just does not call for it.

As all of my readers know, I write erotic stories just like fantasy or romance or suspense. To me, it's all about the story. That may explain why my writing is, as some have said, "all over the place." But again, that's the nice thing about independent writing.

So, tell me, will you follow an author you like if they write across genres? Do you prefer series books to all tie in together or do you like standalone books within a series?

1 comment:

  1. I prefer stand alone books because I may not be able to find and read all the books in a series. I also prefer going to the library since I'm on a limited income, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't invest in a book I liked and get it signed by the author. I think that authors should diversify because there's many readers out there who simply would read a book if the word "erotica" was printed on the cover just as there's movie goers who would see a horror flick simply because they like horror.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you. Your comments are valued.